A waste recycling firm was found to have taken inadequate steps to protect its workers from lead poisoning, leading to its prosecution by the Government’s Health and Safety Executive, according to work accident claim experts familiar with the incident.
Edmonton, London-based Metal and Waste Recycling, Ltd employed more than ninety of its workers in stripping lead sheathing from a large quantity of copper cable from British Telecom, yet after it was discovered that a large number of these workers were found to have dangerous levels of lead present within their bloodstream, the HSE investigated, revealing that the recycling firm’s employees had not been given adequate protection from exposure to the toxic substance. The personal injury compensation experts that investigated on behalf of the HSE found that not only were the recycling plant’s workers not issued with respirators or face masks to minimise inhalation of lead, the plant lacked adequate ventilation to remove fumes or microscopic airbourne led particles.
The HSE also discovered the firm neglected to carry out blood tests on its workers, despite the fact that they are required to do so by law in the event that their employees are working with the toxic substance. A medical professional affiliated with the HSE was instead appointed to carry out these tests on the exposed workers, discovering that twenty three of the firm’s workers had very high lead levels within their blood – and six of these twenty three were exhibiting symptoms of lead poisoning, necessitating their admission to the St Thomas’ Hospital’s specialised toxicology ward.