Employee loses thumb in gruesome printing press accident

One Northamptonshire-based adhesive company employee lost his left thumb in a gruesome printing press accident whilst on the job, according injury claims experts familiar with the case.

A teenage agency worker that had been doing work for Latrave Ltd, whose name has not been made a matter of public record, sustained the injury to his left hand at the adhesive tape manufacturer’s Wellingborough plant as he tried to remedy a known fault in a printing press.  However, his left hand was pulled within the press, causing massive damage to the digit, and necessitating his being rushed by air ambulance to the Royal Derby Hospital for emergency treatment.

Unfortunately, even the surgeons at the hospital’s specialist hand unit were not able to treat the wound, resulting in the complete amputation of his thumb.  The Government’s Health and Safety Executive learned of the incident, launching an investigation into the teenager’s injuries and the circumstances surrounding it and discovering that the inexperienced agency worker had been given instructions on fixing the problm with the printing press whilst it was still in operation.

The HSE, which presented its evidence in Wellingborough Magistrates’ Court, also found the printing press had been missing a safety guard and that the worker had been trained in a completely unsafe manner.  This led to Latrave Ltd to plead guilty to breaching health and safety regulations, with the courts fining he Wellingborough, Northamptonshire firm £8,000.

One inspector for the HSE issued a statement in the wake of the hearing, warning that the watchdog would not hesitate to take action against firms who neglected their responsibilities towards their workers in providing a safe work environment.

Farm employee seriously injured in quad-bike accident

One employee was seriously injured in a quad bike accident when it overturned as he attempted to use the vehicle to round up sheep at a Derbyshire farm, work accident claim experts recently reported.

The farm worker, a forty two year old man from Church Broughton whose name has been withheld from members of the public out of deference to his request for privacy, had been working at a Barton Blount farm for JD and RL Spaton at the time of the incident.  According to legal documents read into the record at Southern Derbyshire Magistrates’ Court, the man sustained several severe injuries when the all terrain vehicle overturned as it traveled down a farm track, including a broken jaw and a stomach wound that also damaged his liver, though the most severe injury he sustained in the accident – which required him being brought by air ambulance to hospital for treatment in the intensive care ward – was the loss of his right eye.

The Health and Safety Executive was called in to investigate the incident, revealing that both the steering and the brakes of the ATV were defective.  The condition of the quad bike in general was found to have been due to poor maintenance, HSE investigators also discovered, leading to a representative of JD and RL Spalton, David Spalton, being called before the court in a hearing at Southern Derbyshire Magistrates’ Court.

Mr Spalton admitted being in breach of health and safety regulations after being prosecuted by the HSE.  The farm representative was given a fine of £2,500 while also being told to pay additional court costs of £2,000.

The serious injuries sustained by the farm worker could have been completely avoided if he had been provided with suitable protective equipment and the quad bike had simply been maintained properly, the HSE inspector that led the investigation commented after the court hearing.

HSE takes egg production company to task for work injuries

The Health and Safety Executive has taken an egg production firm based in Bromsgrove to task after learning that one of its employees lost two of his fingers in a gruesome accident at work, experts say.

Bumble Hole Foods Ltd had hired the twenty five year old man – whose name has been withheld from the public – to clean one of the drains on the factory’s production line, but he lost his index finger and part of his middle finger when one of his hands came into contact with a heavy-duty blade within the drain mechanism.  The HSE became involved after gaining knowledge of the young man’s work accident claim, launching an investigation into the incident that revealed the firm had neglected to conduct an adequate risk assessment regarding workers who were instructed to clean around the blade, also discovering that the factory’s employees were granted access to the dangerous internal workings of many machines without being given proper safety training by qualified professionals.

The Worcestershire-based company, located at Fockbury, in Bromsgrove, was called befor a hearing at Redditch Magistrates’ Court by the HSE, where the watchdog agency successfully prosecuted the firm.  As a result, Bumble Hole Foods Ltd admitted to breaching health and safety regulations concerning the provision and use of work equipment, earning a fine of £13,000 for the role their negligence played in their worker’s injuries, and were also told to pay court costs totaling £6,303.

After the hearing was adjourned, one inspector from the HSE remarked that not only had the unfortunate accident been completely foreseeable, the incident could have been prevented all too easily.