According to a recent article in the Staffordshire Newsletter newspaper, 62 year old John Bromley had been employed as a surveyor and a building inspector for 37 years by Stafford Corporation, now known as Stafford Borough Council. Mr Bromley’s role involved ensuring that sufficient amounts of asbestos had been used in fireproofing beams in the 1970s, leading to his repeated exposure to the deadly fibres as batches were made up in his presence quite often.
The deceased building inspector began to suffer from shortness of breath in October of 2009, according to his wife’s personal injury claims. Mr Bromley then developed persistent vomiting and coughing, which led to his mesothelioma diagnosis, which proved resistant to rounds of chemotherapy and led to his January 2010 death.
Mr Bromley’s widow, Angela, made a claim against Stafford Borough Council, leading to a substantial six-figure sum in a settlement out of court with the council’s insurance provider. Mrs Bromley’s legal representative said that Stafford Corporation should have acted sooner to safeguard the health of its employees, as the health hazards related to asbestos were known as much as half a century ago.
Mesothelioma, a particularly virulent form of lung cancer caused by the prolonged inhalation of asbestos fibres, has been causing larger and larger compensation claims over the past few years. £258,250 was paid out to joiner William Wolff’s widow in 2011 after the 66 year old man also succumbed to mesothelioma.