After being electrocuted and suffering serious burn injuries, one self-employed construction worker is considering a work accident claim against his employers.
Mark Rushbrook, aged twenty four, had been working in Swineshead, Bedfordshire’s Sunny Farm as a steel erector at the time of the incident that may lead to an accident claim. He had been employed in constructing new poultry units when an overhead power cable came into contact with the scissor lift Mr Rushbrook was operating.
After the resultant eleven kilovolt shock, the West Winch native suffered serious injuries, which included burns to both his abdomen and his hands. The incident, which occurred in the summer of 2009, also resulted in some internal muscle damage on the part of Mr Rushbrook as well and could prompt him to file personal injury claims.
The Health and Safety Initiative launched an investigation of the incident, revealing that the overhead power cable had only been 4.3 metres away from the gable end of the new steel structure.
Two separate companies were summoned to appear in Luton’s Crown Court for breaching Health and Safety regulations as a result of the inquiries of the HSE. C and P Bird Brothers Ltd, the owners of the farm, received a fine of £40,000, with £5,500 in court costs. Peter Bird, the director of the company, was personally given a fine of £5,000, and was also made responsible to pay £2,500 in court costs as well.
Morspan Construction Limited, the project’s main contractor, was given a fine of £60,000 as well as court costs of £5,250. Meanwhile Michael Skayman, a sub-contractor, was assigned a fee of £25,000 with an additional £4,750 in court costs as well.